Monday, December 3, 2007

My way to work

Sometimes I feel like prison break when I am driving to my work. While the first half part leads through a pleasent suburb (Shar-e-naw, which means "new city" if I am not mistaken), the second part is a slalom past highly armed embassies, the ISAF headquarter, and last but not leats, just in front of my office, a compound of guys who deal with anti narcotics business. Surely, understandable that they have to protect themselves (in a country where opiom production reached last year a peak never seen before, people who try to interfere with this trade are not the most welcome guys in town...). Still, despite understanding that my neighbours have to fear for their life, it feels a bit odd when driving past this gate, where all around the clock a guy stands with a gun directed towards everything that is passing by. Even though he usually tries to smile at me (by now, they know that I am part of IRC), I am sometimes getting a bit scared....

My counterstrategy to all these highly armed security guards is reading my dari phrase book, which can be quite amusing. Today for instance I leared that one of my colleagues is called "sun" (Aftab), and that sitara, the name of another friend of mine, means "star". If I ever happen to have kids, I will defenitely go for one of these meaning-beautyful dari names!

cheers
Johanna

No comments: