Saturday, May 17, 2008

Welcome summer

Back in Kabul from R&R, I realized one thing pretty quickly: Summer has finally taken over from the cold winter months, with some good and some less good things attached to it.

The good things: it's daylight at 5 am in the morning, and it only gets dark at 7:30 in the evening; I don't have to run around in onion style (the multiple-layers-winter-survival-dress-code) any longer; I dont have to worry about not having enough (matching) socks in my cupboard, since it's too hot for shoes anyway; I can easily sleep without a heavy blanket; restaurants have put tables outside, meaning that I dont have to breath smoke from cigarettes any longer; pools have been filled with sparkling fresh water; there is no fear of frozen pipes anymore.

The down side to it: my office is a sauna (having two walls made purely out of windows is great for winter, but a nightmare in summer!); sandstorms carry dust everywhere; public power is only available few hours a day; I long for the mountains I can see from my office and yet not climb, due to security concerns; I am struggling to find cloths that don't stick to my sweaty skin after five minutes of putting them on.

At the end, I have to admit that both winter and summer here in Kabul seem to have their own unique charm, and their own unique stuggles :)

No comments: