Saturday, May 31, 2008

Floating on Lake Qargha

Because Kabul is in many ways still a village, it isn't hard to coincidentally meet somebody on a popular place like lake Qargha. So I wasn't particularly surprised to meet one of my former colleague with kids, brothers and father during my walk there. Rather, I was pleased to be able to spend part of my friday in a family like setup. After a quick cup of tea (whatever it is, it always starts with a cup of tea in Afghanistan), we decided to try the colorful swan boats. How these made it to lake qargha is a bit of a mystery to me. I wonder whether they are a left over from the times before the war or a donation by aid agencies after the war. In any case, they are colorful, funny to look at and bring joy not just to kids, but also to adults. And whats more welcome after a busy week than some distraction?

No comments: