Monday, May 12, 2008

Hagia Sophia - Istanbul

Hagia Sophia is really one of the most fascinating pieces of architectural greatness I have seen so far. Despite the flow of tourists that is funnelled through its interior every hour, the way in which the mosque/church/ museum is set up, you can all of a sudden feel completely alone in an extremely peaceful way, for instance by looking up to its ceiling, or by moving behind one of the sheer endless columns. I don't know how such feelings are possible, and wasn't really expecting it, when queueing outside, wrestling with other thousands of tourists to get a ticket to enter the building, but fact is that Hagia Safia has something special, a special something in its atmosphere that is there no matter how many tourists are rolling through. Anyhow, wanted to share this experience as I am usually try to keep myself away from touristy places; walking throug Hagia Safia has brought me a bit at peace with mass tourism.. :)

No comments: