Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Knowing why you are here

Today I had an interview with a journalist from a local newspaper in Italy, about my stay and work in Afghanistan, my future plans and past adventures. The inevitable question during the interview was: why am I in Afghanistan? Am I here to help? To work? To run from something? To learn something? It’s a question I have been asking myself many times, without a definite answer so far.

Reading today’s news, I don’t seem to be the only one to ask “why am I here?” An interview with Jacob Kellenberger, president of the ICRC, touched on his recent visit to the US military prison in Bagram, not far from Kabul. During his visit, many of the over 600 detainees complained that they are held without knowing why for; “they do not know what the future brings, how long they will be there, and under which conditions they will be released” – he stated in the interview. Recently, an “enemy combat review board” was established, which will meet every six months to review the future of the detainees. But the body does not allow any evidence from outside, nor are hearings open to the public; the list of the detainees in Bagram is kept secret, so are the offences against which they are held in prison. Unlike Guantanamo, the Bagram military base does not allow any journalists to visit the prison. The only window to the outside world is a video conferencing system, with which detainees can communicate with their families. I wonder how that will work? Do they set up temporary video conference centers in the remote villages where these prisoners might come from? Dingle with a mobile cinema through the country?

Why are we here? At least I can choose to leave, if I don’t find the answer to these question. Prisoners, if held innocently, will have to wait for the decision of the enemy combat review board. I wonder on which grounds and evidence this board is basing its decisions.

No comments: