Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Bollywood lunch in Kabul

I know I should be working in this very moment (its 5:45) instead of writing nonsense on my blog. There is one huge proposal waiting to be polished, printed out and eventually submitted to the donor on Thursday. There are several emails I should reply to. My table is covered with papers I haven't sorted out. There is the departmental strategy I should at least attempt to get down on paper. And then, of course, there is the good old topic of my five year life plan (that one I actually happen to work on almost every night before falling asleep, just to throw it out all again and start a new the next night before falling asleep-maybe the reason why I am frequently tortured by nightmares? ;) . But what am I doing instead? I am finding any excuse not to look into above mentioned issues. For instance my lunch experience today:
Afghanistan is not the most progressive country when it comes to dress code for women, with majority of the female population still walking around behind blue curtains. Fascinatingly enough, what seems to be a tabu in the real life, is totally ok on TV. Regardless of the decades of conflict, elements of indians subcontinental movie scene and pockets of technology have reached out to Afghanistan (or at least Kabul), resulting in a combination of seminaked women and macho looking men dancing and flirting on huge plasma screens in ordinary lunch restaurants in Kabul. I call it the "Bollywood lunch". I am not a particular fan of Bollywood, but having these movies spicing up my lunch in Kabul while watching women in burka walking by the window is bizarre enough to put it on my blog - and successfully distract myself from work. How comes that we add such different standards and rules to real life and what we allow to be screened on TV? Anyhow, back to work....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I want to know is it safe for a family to work and live in kabul . My husband has got job offer in afghanistan