Tuesday, August 19, 2008

In the air

Life is always a journey.

This part of my journey will be the last journey for Shirley. We (two friends from IRC and I) didn't succeed to get on the same plane that takes Shirley home to Canada, but at least we are able to be in the air at the same time, accompanying her in spirit and mind on this long journey half way around the globe. I have reached Dubai few hours ago, and will soon continue to New York, where we will stay for a couple of days before moving on to Vancouver.

Flying out of Kabul was never as difficult and as relieving as it was today. Difficult, because it brought once again to my consciousness that the happenings are real, not a dream as I tried to make myself believe over the last days. Relief, because every corner in Kabul and around Kabul reflects the memories of Shirley, Nic, Jackie, and Ajmal, making it painful to keep my eyes open when driving through the city, when sitting in the office, when having coffee in one of Kabuls coffee shops.

The why-did-it-happen is still unanswered.

1 comment:

Sylvie Dupuis said...

Hi Johanna,

Maybe the answers to your questions will take time to come but remember that I am there to listen to you.

I am missing my Kabuli friend Johanna.

Sylvie